Friday, November 14, 2008

Who Has The Best Dad In The World???

MY KIDS!!!!! So several months ago (actually while prego with JB) I had this vision to stop throwing away my hard earned money on over-processed, weird tasting baby food and decided we could buy, cook and make our own. It isn't the right solution for everyone but since so many of Trav's health issues were exacerbated by food choices it felt like a good move for us (well, that and the fact that baby bananas don't taste like bananas and it creeps me out). I bought the books, I bought the food processor and I bought all of the little special BPA-free containers (don't get me talking on that one) and promptly put them on a shelf where they have stayed until this week. My W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L husband announced that since I was working a second job (essentially) to bring in more money to put towards our Total Money Makeover that he would take full responsibility for the baby food making endeavor. Let me tell you what a delightful treat it is to see my dream realized and not actually have to lift a finger to make it happen! I came home late last night to find hubby elbow deep (figuratively) in fresh delicious acorn squash, butternut squash and sweet potatoes. The aroma was intoxicating and the concoction was absolutely delicious! In less than half an hour he was able to make 3 weeks worth of baby food all for $4.13....nearly a $25 savings!!!!!!!!!!!! Woot woot!!


Acorn Squash.....not so sure at first but a hit in the end! One down a million more to go!

3 comments:

AshlieB said...

Pretty impressive that you accoplished that feeding sans bib!! We have to strip Hunter down to his diaper every meal and practically hose him down afterwards!

Jessica said...

I too have made all of Gavin's food. It's pretty easy, cheap, and tastes way better. Now that he's eaten the home made stuff, he won't go for the jarred food. Especially the jarred bananas... those are just weird. The favorites in our house have been the sweet potatoes, butternut squash and pears.

Anonymous said...

I can certainly vouch for his cooking!

However, I think feeding the kid squash may be borderline child abuse. Yuck!

Awesome savings though. I may go buy a bunch of food to cram through a processor for myself!