Friday, October 31, 2008

Visited by a Ghost

When my husband and I were first married we lived in a tiny little town called York, Nebraska in a 250 square foot "quaint" house. We moved there with my beloved but very unfriendly (except to me) russian persian cat, Piper. Trav so desperately wanted an animal that actually liked him that one day he brought home THE friendliest little farm kitten that we affectionately named Rawley. As far as cats go, and I have had many, Rawley was AWESOME and not at all like your typical cat. He was sweet, snuggly, playful, mischievious and loved people and animals tremendously; he was such a joy in our then childless home. Shortly after we moved to Texas he, along with our three other cats ,disappeared suddenly. Shortly after their collective disappearance we heard rumors from the neighbors that a pack of coyotes had destroyed the cat population in our neighborhood.
So imagine my surprise when Travis came running into the room tonight saying, "Guess who is at the front door?!" As it is Halloween I was expecting some really cute trick-or-treaters and was so shocked to see MY Rawley sitting coyly on the front stoop SIX YEARS after he disappeared! He is still as sweet as ever, a little less playful but still the little darling that we loved so much. He apparently wasn't fond of sharing all of the attention with three other cats, a chihuahua and a golden retreiver so he found a new home. Our animal farm only includes one animal these days but I know he wouldn't enjoy a home with kiddos so I am happy to see he is healthy and friendly enough to stop by for a visit.

No comments: