Monday, June 09, 2008

Maternity Leave

I am so very, very blessed to work where I do. Working for my church enables me to work with wonderfully godly men and women in a healthy, happy environment that not only cares about the individual but the individual's family. When Little Man was born nearly two months early, the church worked with me to arrange a schedule that would allow me to give my son my undivided attention while he was in the NICU and then after 6 weeks of maternity leave allowed me to work from home for many months while my little one grew and grew. This time around, with June Bug, I wasn't sure whether or not we would have an experience similar to Little Man's or one that was more typical. The church was flexible and more than willing to work with me and support me through bed rest, multiple trips to L&D and even an early delivery. Now that JB has made her arrival they allowed me to modify "maternity leave" so that I could work from home for the summer and only come into the office for meetings and emergencies. It allows me to give my sweet children my attention when they need it and arrange my work load to accommodate their needs. It also allows me to participate in the staff prayer meetings, minister meetings and luncheons that I so desire to attend. It really is the best of both worlds. While not a permanent solution, I will go back to full-time work in September, it is such a tremendous blessing for this new mommy and one of the many reasons I love my job.

I do get some weird, sometimes skeptical looks, when I tell people that I work from home but honestly....can you imagine a better working situation?

Working from home with Little Man

Working from home with June Bug

2 comments:

Lara said...

I am so glad you get to stay home with your precious ones. It should be that way in every job.
We do miss seeing you, though. Can't wait to meet June Bug in person.

My2Gs said...

I'm the Office Manager for our church. I my church was also generous and gave me 6 weeks paid maternity leave. I don't work from home...but both of my kids are in the building with me :) My little girl (3) is just downstairs in the preschool, and my little boy (10 months) is down the hall in the infant room. I am BLESSED!
~ Lacie